How to make a success of your homemade bread?
There is nothing like the wonderful taste of bread. And there is nothing like homemade bread, fresh out of the oven! If you think making your own bread is complicated, think again. It’s now easier than ever to make your own bread, be it in a conventional oven, in a bread machine or even in a slow cooker.
Here are some easy tips and recipes for making homemade bread in the comfort of your own home. Good recipe!
1. Why make one’s own bread?
What are the benefits of making homemade bread? First, the cost. It is much cheaper to make bread than to buy it at the bakery. Then, the possibility of always having fresh bread, because it is easily stored in the freezer. But above all, who does not want this wonderful fragrance of fresh baked bread in his house?
2. Tips to make your homemade bread a success
Although making homemade bread is relatively easy, there are some tips and tricks to make it a success. Here are a few :
- Choose your flour well : some will give a soft bread, while others will create a heavier and denser dough.
- Water quality : if your tap water is chlorinated or limestone, you will not get good results. Then choose bottled water, the purest possible. Also, make sure the water is warm!
- Salt and sugar : add a tiny pinch of salt sugar when you mix it with your yeast, this will activate the yeast faster. In addition, it will absolutely be necessary to respect the quantity of salt mentioned in the recipe.
- The right temperature : When lifting, make sure the room is at a temperature of about 25 degrees Celsius, and no drafts pass through it. An interesting trick, make your dough rise in the oven off, but with the light on. This will create just enough heat to complete this crucial step.
3. Easy bread dough recipe
This simple recipe does not require any special equipment, except for an enamelled cast iron casserole, and requires very few ingredients:
- 3 cups flour (whole wheat, kamut, spelled, white or a mixture)
- 1 cup ¼ to 1 cup ½ lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- An enamelled cast iron casserole
In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add 1 cup ¼ tepid water, and mix with your hands for a few minutes. If the dough lacks water, add a little. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for a minimum of 3 hours.
When the dough is finished, heat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius and put the casserole and lid on it. When the oven has reached its temperature, take out the casserole. Make a ball with the dough and put it in the casserole and close the lid. Cook for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Homemade rolls
- 2 cups of boiling milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 beaten eggs
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of butter
- 2 bags of instant yeast
- ½ cup warm water
Start by melting the yeast in warm water. Then, in a large bowl, pour the boiling milk over the sugar, salt and butter. Wait until the mixture is lukewarm, then add the yeast, the eggs and then the flour, gradually. Stir until smooth, and let stand until dough doubles. Lower the dough and make small balls of bread. Let it rise a little longer. Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes.
5. How to choose a good bread machine?
Bread machines are a great way to make homemade bread regularly without all the work and attention to detail that traditional breads can demand. They are offered with a variety of features and in different price ranges.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before buying a bread machine:
- Do you use it regularly?
- What kind of bread do you want to make?
Then, some points to consider in order to make your choice:
- The size of the tank
- The offered features
- The power of the machine
- the size of the device (do you have space to store it?)
- The price
There are several models on the market, and it can be difficult to make a choice without asking these few questions. Once you have answered, you can make an informed choice and get the perfect bread machine for your needs.
6. An interesting bread machine
Moulinex’s bread machine is not only well rated on Amazon, but is also very reasonably priced. This compact machine includes 12 different programs, including one for a gluten-free bread, and comes with a book of 27 bread recipes.
7. Make slow cooker bread?
This other popular device makes it possible to make some interesting bread recipes. Here is a basic one that is worth trying:
Slow cooker base bread:
- 330 milliliters of warm water
- 1 bag of 8 grams of quick-rising instant yeast
- 15 milliliters of honey
- 500 milliliters of all-purpose flour
- 180 milliliters of whole wheat flour
- 15 milliliters of sugar
- 5 milliliters of salt
- 30 milliliters of olive oil
In a small bowl, mix water, yeast and honey, and let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Then, add the liquid mixture, and stir well. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with parchment paper, and drop the ball of dough on it. Cover the opening of the crock pot with absorbent paper (paper towels), but be careful that they do not touch the bread. Have them stand with the lid. At high temperature, cook the bread between 1:30 and 2:30. Take the bread out of the slow cooker and let it cool down before slicing it.