How to make your own cheese?
If you’re like us, you’re in the mood every time you walk past the cheese stalls. But did you know that you can make your own cheese, quietly at home? It is not so difficult! All you need is the right ingredients, the right tools and a little time and patience.
Are you tempted by experience? Here are our tips and tricks to make your homemade cheese a success.
1. The material to make homemade cheese
Although there is on the market of yogurt electric cheese to make good homemade cheese, it is quite possible to do without. To make homemade cheese you must have:
- A cauldron
- A thermometer
- A large bowl deep enough
- A colander
- Strips of gauze
- A skimmer
If you prefer simplicity and speed then the yogurt maker is a good solution for you. You will find at the next point a model of yogurt maker to make homemade cheese that we particularly like.
2. What is a cheese yogurt maker?
This electric appliance will allow you to easily make homemade yogurt or cottage cheese. Its great advantage is that it keeps the milk at the ideal temperature, around 40 degrees Celsius which is very important for a successful homemade cheese recipe.
Some yogurt makers even come in kit, including pots and skimmers. If you like the idea of making yogurt and homemade cheeses, this device should be part of your cookware. Here is a model of yogurt maker with many positive reviews but also offered at a great price.
3. The ingredients for making homemade cheese
For a simple cheese, you will need whole milk, as fresh as possible or raw milk. Then you will need rennet, which you can buy in pharmacies. Rennet is used to curdle the milk.
If you want to make a good fresh cheese with a firmer consistency, you can add petit-suisse to your mix. Good now that you know the basic ingredients how about testing a first homemade cheese recipe?
4. Basic recipe of homemade fresh cheese
To start in the wonderful world of homemade cheeses here is a simple homemade cheese recipe to make. You will love!
Here are the steps to succeed this first white cheese:
- Start by heating 1 liter of milk, until it reaches 35 degrees Celsius.
- Then pour the milk into the salad bowl and add 3 drops of rennet. If you have opted for the addition of petit-suisse, it’s time to include it in the recipe by stirring gently.
- Then cover the salad bowl with a clean cloth, and let the mixture ferment for 24 hours at room temperature.
- After 24 hours, check the curdled milk with a knife. Press your strainer over a bowl, and cover it with strips of gauze.
- Using a skimmer, gently deposit the curds into the strainer. Then leave to drain for at least 3 hours, depending on the desired consistency.
And now, you have fresh cheese entirely made by hand! All you have to do is flavor it with the ingredients of your choice: garlic, herbs, etc. Good tasting.
5. Recipe of fresh cheese without rennet
Here’s an equally easy recipe for making homemade fresh cheese, and no rennet. The ingredients for this cheese are:
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 1 small Swiss of 60 grams
- The juice of a lemon
- 5 grams of fine salt
Here are the steps to succeed this good cheese without rennet:
- In a small bowl, mix the petit-suisse with 5 centiliters of milk. Pour the remaining milk into a cauldron and add the salt.
- Heat until milk reaches 45 degrees Celsius. Remove the pan from the heat, and pour in the petit-suisse mixture and lemon juice.
- Mix quickly but gently with a wooden spatula. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Place a strainer on a large bowl and cover with muslin or strips of gauze. Put the curds on them, cover the bowl with a cloth and allow the mixture to drain for 12 hours at room temperature.
6. How to make homemade dry cheese (ripened)?
The recipe for making a good dry cheese is the same as for fresh cheese, the same ingredients and the same preparation steps.
So what’s the difference with dry cheese? It will then be refined. To do this, first let it drain for 3 days. Then, it is un-molded and soiled with a fine salt on top, and then turned to salt the other surface.
This step will be redone every day until your cheese is ready. Know that the longer a dry cheese, the more it will taste.
7. Homemade mozzarella recipe
Why spend a fortune on quality mozzarella, when you can do it in your own kitchen? Here’s how to make a good homemade mozzarella cheese:
The ingredients for the mozzarella recipe:
- 2 liters of raw milk
- Fresh lemon juice
- 15 drops of rennet
The steps to succeed your homemade mozzarella:
- In a deep saucepan, pour the milk and heat until it reaches 34 degrees Celsius. Remove from heat, and add about ten teaspoons of lemon juice, as well as rennet.
- Mix gently. Cover the preparation with a cloth and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Once the milk is curd, cut into cubes and turn on the heat until the temperature rises to 40 degrees Celsius.
- With a skimmer, gently pick up the pieces of curd to drain and place in a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave for one minute, at maximum power. Empty the whey, and knead the pieces of curd with a spatula.
- Return to the microwave for 30 seconds, and repeat the kneading process.
Repeat these steps until the curd has the desired consistency. Then make mozzarella balls and keep them in cold, salty water.
8. Homemade goat cheese recipe
Do you have a weakness for goat cheese? Here is how to easily make a good homemade goat cheese:
- 1 liter of raw goat’s milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt
The preparation :
- Heat the milk to reach a temperature of 35 degrees Celsius. Remove from heat, and add lemon juice. Cover and leave to curdle at room temperature overnight.
- Then drain the curd in a strainer covered with strips of gauze or muslin. When this is done, salt the cheese and mix gently.
- Place your cheese in a mold or strainer for at least 24 hours in the fridge, for a fresh goat cheese.
If you want to refine the goat cheese, you can leave it longer and salt it every day.