How to attract birds in his garden?
To receive the visit of pretty birds at home, in its garden, it is always so nice and so beautiful! Hearing their songs, witnessing their little swirling dances in the air and being able to admire them at any time of the day is wonderful.
10 Tips offers you some tips and tricks to attract birds into the garden .
- Use house suet to attract birds
Do you know how to make home tallow to attract birds to the house? Here’s how:
- Bake bacon and keep fat aside.
- Then put the bacon fat in a small pot. (Not plastic)
- Place the fat container in the refrigerator and let the fat freeze.
- Put fat in a saucer and add sunflower seeds.
- Hang outdoors to attract birds into the garden.
You can add other seeds and food of your choice according to the types of birds you want to attract to the house. You can also use a small fillet to place the house tallow.
2. Install a feeding station (feeding trough)
To attract birds to your garden or near the house it is important to install a feeding station or simply a small manger.
Birds live for food. Birds are always in search of food. If you offer them a place where they can come and eat whenever they like, they will certainly come back. A nice feeder with berries and seeds will already be a good start to attracting birds.
- Choose the place where the feeder is placed
Do you know how to attract birds to a feeder? It is very nice to place one or several feeders but this is not always enough to attract birds. To succeed in attracting birds, you must:
- Install a feeding trough where there are plenty of plants and trees.
- Install the feeder in a quiet and peaceful place.
- Prefer the rear of the house for the installation of a feeder.
This trick for feeders is also good for installing a birdhouse. Birds must be comfortable coming to eat or sleep, otherwise you work for nothing.
- Choose a good bird feeder
Before buying a bird feeder it is important to consider a few important points. Here are some features to check when buying:
- Choose a strong and resistant feeder.
- Choose an easy-care manger.
- Choose a water-tight feeder to keep the seeds dry.
- Choose a good size feeder for different species of birds.
Of course metal feeders are more expensive but they will last longer and will withstand the weather.
- Maintain the feed regularly
It is important to thoroughly clean your feeder, at least once every two or three weeks. You must remove the droppings and all bird seeds that are no longer good.
Each season, dismantle your feeder and clean it thoroughly with water, soap and a few drops of bleach to disinfect everything. Of course do not forget to thoroughly rinse before putting back seeds in order to remove any trace and smell of bleach.
- Provide Seeds of Choice to Birds
You can offer birds black sunflower seeds, corn, white millet, canary seed, safflower, rapeseed and thistle. Avoid mixtures sold in stores because birds will waste a lot of food by just looking for what they like.
If you want to attract only one species of bird in particular then it is better to buy this type of seed only to not waste everything.
So what seeds for which birds?
- Black sunflower: tits, grosbeaks, woodpeckers, goldfinches, nuthatches.
- Almonds: tits, peaks, nuthatches
- Corn: finches, buntings, juncos, sparrows, tohis.
- Crushed peanuts: peaks, tits, nuthatches, tarins, sparrows.
- Wheat and barley: almost all birds.
- Hazelnuts: Sittelles, tits, peaks.
- Provide a good shelter for birds
Birds love trees and conifers because they can shelter there, rest, perch and position themselves to observe their environment. If you can add trees to your course, it will be perfect.
So what trees for which bird?
- Fir: partridge, tits, turtledoves, grosbeaks.
- Oak: grosbeaks, blue jays, turtledoves.
- Cherry: grosbeaks, waxworks, cardinals, blackbirds, tits.
- Cedar: all small birds.
- Spruce: tits, buntings, grosbeaks and other small birds.
- Pommier: tits, waxwings, grosbeaks, finches.
Leafy, coniferous and fruit-bearing shrubs are good trees to have at home to attract birds in its yard and garden.
- Install bird boxes
Birds also love the nest boxes. Besides, some birds will love the nest boxes to shelter their nests. Having it in its yard is therefore another good way to attract birds.
You can of course buy one or more nest boxes online but you can make them. It’s not so complicated to build a nest box for birds. Here are the steps and dimensions to be complied with to make a nice little birdhouse offered by the blog 100things2do
9. Provide water for birds
In addition to food you can attract birds through water basins for example. Birds quickly spot water points.
So you can install a basin or a standing or suspended water bath to attract birds that come to drink or simply to wash. A great way to attract even more bird species in the garden at home.
Depending on the style you like here is a fountain and bath model to attract birds into its garden. This is a bird bath model that works with solar energy.
10. Removing predators
Of course if you want to attract a lot of birds in the garden and in the backyard it is better to keep predators far away.
Install your feeders and nest boxes as high as possible and make sure that nothing is too close to bridge the animals to your facility. Otherwise, it will be very easy for other animals to climb up to your feeders.